Thursday 9 November 2023

Trudging along

 I am still waiting to get my nursing license reinstated. It is a long drawn out process, with paperwork submitted to various agencies, then waiting on their processing of same. But yesterday, I finally submitted the last of the required paperwork and am now at the mercy of the College of Registered Nurses and however slow their process of approval is. Hopefully not long, as I would like to be working before the month is out. At least I know that I have a job to go to when all is said and done.

I had the Calico Kids in to the vet in October for their annual checkups and vaccinations. Andi had bloodwork and urine done to see where he's at with his health. He is a complicated little guy, that is for sure! Turns out he has hyperthyroidism, which is more often seen in senior cats. He is only 4! But the vet said it can cause overgrooming, so hopefully that is his issue with all the scratching and licking. He is now on a daily medication to bring his thyroid levels down and goes for repeat bloodwork in December. He seems to be less itchy now and, fingers crossed, that is all it is!! He is getting tired of eating rabbit every meal, as he sniffs his bowl and looks at me like "I want what they're having!", but he will eat once I pet him and stir it up a bit. I have started giving him some canned tuna (catfood) once a day when the girls get it, and that makes him very happy. He just wants some variety!! The medication is very inexpensive ($19/120 days) which is waaayyy less than the rabbit ($250/month). I would like them all to eat the same foods. Makes my life a lot easier, and the cats happier.

It is definitely the beginning of winter here. It is only about -1C (30F) but it snowed last night and today on the radio they equated it to driving through mashed potatoes. Yup, been there done that. And it is very slippery underneath. A lot of the rural highways are like skating rinks, lots of school closures, and just the advice to stay home if you don't really have to go out! So that is what I am doing. I have nothing pressing to do today so I am hunkered down inside with some hot cocoa, a good book, and cats on my lap.

Had my annual flu shot last week, the quad shot ~ 4 times the strength of the regular one. If you are over 65, it is definitely something to think about. I also got the pneumoncoccal pneumonia shot, also recommended for those 65 and up. Protects against a number of pneumonia strains. Us seniors are more susceptible to respiratory illnesses, so I am a firm believer in getting vaccinated. I am also due next month for my next covid booster. I got one in the summer prior to going to Iceland and I am quite willing to get jabbed every 6 months if that is what it takes to avoid catching that nastiness.

It's nice to see some of the US states doing things right. And I hope That Giant Tangerine Turd digs himself a hole so deep no one can toss him a rope to climb out (not that he would be able to haul his fat ass up a rope without a crane anyway...). That does not need to get into office again. I saw a clip of Hillary Clinton saying she can't imagine what the US would look like if that happens. I still think she would make a fantastic president.

8 comments:

  1. My last dog had hypothyroidism. Bless him, he rattled as he had pills for epilepsy as well.
    I’m too young now, for the Covid and flu jabs in the UK, so I am not looking forward to the season of catching every bug going!
    Good luck for going back to work, hope it all works out soon.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too young?!? You do get the regular strength flu shot, I hope? And doesn't everyone qualify for the Covid jab? Here, everyone over the age of 6 months can get both, all paid for by the government.

      Well, if you can't get those vaccinations, stay away from crowds as much as possible, and wear a mask. I hope you don't catch anything at all, Scarlet. xx

      Delete
    2. Nope, no regular flu shot unless you’re over 65, and that’s the same for Covid this year as well. If I want a flu shot I think I have to pay for it, and the Covid shot is unavailable to my age group. I’d get both free if I was ill with something serious, or immunocompromised.
      Our government is cost cutting and has a firm belief in herd immunity! Tsk.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. Do me a favour, please buy that flu shot ! You do not want to have to deal with real influenza, and all things became un-orderly because of the corona years. I really believe that would be "am falschen Ende gespart", money saved at the wrong end.

      Delete
  2. "Too young" ?? One is never "too young" for a flue jab !
    I will have my annual inspection on the 15th of this month, and I will get a covid jab. The flue injection is always possible ("just come in, we'll squeeze you in"), but there should be a two day interval, so flue is next week.

    I am sorry to learn that you still have to wait because of bureaucracy, oh yeah, there is always some "management" involved. It could just happen a little faster, couldn't it ?

    Good to see that the cats do alright.

    Regarding the orange - I can not understand that the guy has a chance to be elected. Seriously, what kind of brain does one have who votes for this criminal ? And the little fuehrer and his minions say openly what they'll do after "victory" - eradicate the vermin. This nazi speak. And seemingly no one does take them serious, despite the fact that they have shown what they are capable of. It is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get the flu and covid vaccinations at the same time... one jab in each arm. Here they recommend 2 weeks in between if you opt to not get them at the same time. Since today is the 15th, I hope your annual checkup went well. Good health is important!

      The bureaucracy has its own clock, that is true. They sent me the link to my position today and I put in my application. It is only for me and not open to other applicants, so it hopefully going to go quickly now. I already have shifts booked for next week!!

      I am not a violent or vindictive person but I have fervently wished for that orange menace to drop from a massive heart attack. He is doing his best to destroy his country, which I do not understand, and the entire world would be a better place without him.

      Delete
    2. Exactly what the lady did : One shot in each arm. After she had pumped blood out of me - what is wrong, because I pumped myself, she just filled the containers.
      The checkup itself will be next week. My doctor had a conversation with me today, asked some questions, and decided what should be done. All these things will happen next Tuesday, then the results of the blood examination will be available too, and he asked me to monitor my blood pressure for some days. So I will do a "Messreihe", series, maybe I even produce a diagram - the last time I did something like that must have been in twelveth or thirteenth class.

      Delete

So you have something to say about all this, do you?
Well, let's hear it, then!