Tuesday 5 April 2011

A time of change



It is now spring here in Winnipeg. Skeins of geese wend their way northward across the sky in ever increasing numbers, honking sporadically as they survey the massive remnants of snow that still cover most areas. The river is on the rise, as is the temperature, with the impending flood causing scurries of preparation work with dyke building and sandbagging of low lying properties in the city. Outside the city, meltwater already floods the fields, quietly awaiting the swell of the rising Red.




The change of seasons is well underway. Trees sport fattening buds. Tulips poke through the warming soil, only to have their leaf points nibbled off by hungry cottontails. Amorous birds abound, flitting through the trees, beaks stuffed with nesting materials.




My own nesting will begin on Saturday. I get the keys for the new place at 11:00 a.m. and plan to start moving things in bits and pieces right away, with the movers handling the big stuff on the 13th. I will be glad for the change of focus, as time has been dragging for me. Feeling like a wounded duck has not been the most pleasant scenario for me. I've always soldiered through injuries and tough times. This shoulder thing has sidelined me more than I care to admit, adding a feeling of vulnerability that is rather uncomfortable. Having something to keep me busy will be a welcome distraction as I fit my physio exercises into days of moving and unpacking.




A distinct shift also comes as one breaks the news today of a new job in another city, life to take a course away from me, tangents of contact thinning and breaking. Breaking too, is my heart. It is most definitely a time of change...

24 comments:

  1. I hope everything works out well for your shoulder and the move.

    Keep moving forward...life is change...embrace the people and things that are important to you, set free the ones who need to find their own way in the world, and take time to discover new things about the world and yourself and enjoy life as much as you can...do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this yesterday and thought of you:
    'Who will tell whether one happy moment of love or the joy of breathing or walking on a bright morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth all the suffering and effort which life implies. ~Erich Fromm'

    I hope the new start is going to bring lots of fun and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How appropriate that your new home comes with the break of the season.

    If my meditation taught me anything, it taught me that change is normal and constant.

    I had to look up "skeins." Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much going on at once!

    And me, I knew what "skeins" was, and found it to be a wonderfully poetic description of the flocks of overhead geese and ducks going north again.

    Spring is truly here, Ponita, my girl. I wore shoes today, rather than boots, for the first time in six months. I feel naked. :-D

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your life is about to bloom into something even more lovely.

    Just get someone to do the heavy lifting for your move, okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes on your new nest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the new place and good riddance to old man winter
    cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't push your shoulder too much with moving and unpacking. It will be good once you get a chance to settle into your new place though. Big hugs from Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eros: Thanks. It's been the setting free that's been the hard part.

    Pat: Ah yes... it's true, isn't it.

    UB: Yeah, the only constant in life is change. It's just a bugger when so many things have to change at once. ;-)

    And 'skeins'? A gaggle on the ground, a skein in the air. Strange language, English.

    Pearl: I yearn for shorts and sandals. I started with shoes as soon as temp started hovering around -5C! ;-)

    Hope: I have professional movers for the really big stuff, and a tall strapping nephew for the smaller heavy stuff. :-)

    XL: I've never had a brand new nest before. This will be an experience! Thanks.

    SF: No kidding, good riddance! The longer I live here, the more disgusted I am with the length of winter. Perhaps I should move south??? ;-)

    Snooze: I have time on my hands so no rush with unpacking. Thanks for the hugs!! How's your little man doing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look after yourself, and don't put too much strain on the shoulder.
    I'm thinking of you and have much admiration for the way you knuckle down and just get on with things.
    *Hugs*
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scarlet: Thanks... we Viking type are like that... Stoic? Tough? Too stupid to know better? Whatever it is, I have it. But thank you for your thoughts and hugs. Muchly appreciated.

    Savannah: And just as much xoxoxo for you too!!! Share it with your MITM. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mhmh, interesting feeling when one realises the vulnerability. A move, a slip on the stairs - and life is different. You take care viking queen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An endearing post from you hen. Look to the gift of each new day, for that is why it is known as the present.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mago: Yes, we do tend to forget just how puny we are in the big scheme of things, don't we?

    Jimmy: Each day is indeed a gift! One of the best presents I get is when I come here and read all the comments from all my friends. All of you mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh huh, and next time a little more cleavage please.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jimmy: Cleavage now, is it?? Well, at least you said please. I'll see what I can do... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. XL: Oh lordy, now I'll have all the guys drooling on their laptops, looking for cleavage. ;-)

    See what you started, Jimmy???

    ReplyDelete
  18. One picture is worth a thousand words ... or so, I heared.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You should ask tall, strapping nephew #2 to help tall, strapping nephew #1 for assistance on moving day. I'm sure he will if he's not working.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mago: I've heard that too... ;-)

    Shannon: Doing the little stuff in bits with nephew #1. Movers do the rest on the 13th. Probably won't need nephew #2. But will call him if I need him!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is what is good about Spring; change. I'm glad you're embracing the positives and I wish only good things and healing for your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boxer: They say a change is as good as a rest. I've been resting too damn long now!!!! Eager to get this change... well, changed! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

So you have something to say about all this, do you?
Well, let's hear it, then!