Saturday 28 February 2009

Thick Headed

The cats thunder up and down the stairs, chasing each other hither and yon, wreaking havoc along the way. Bouncing off the walls, they knock things flying and leave kitty fluffs scattered in their wake.

Their noisy careenings crash through my pounding head, through the thickness that has invaded my cranium. Although not as intense as two days ago, there is still a resounding pounding from the blood rushing through my ears, magnified by the tenacious snot that pervades my sinuses.

I do not sound myself... not even to myself and certainly not to others. "You sound like shit!" has been spoken to me often times these past few days. But the fever has broken and the chills have passed. Just the fatigue, headache and stuffy yet runny nose remain.

Thankfully the sun shines through the window to cast its blaze of warmth on the carpeted floor, calling the dog to bone warming naptime. Otherwise, she would be hounding me with her lughead plopping on my lap for constant attention. One tires rapidly of that submissive but demanding behaviour.

Once again, my mind wanders towards the opposite gender and the quest for a someone special in my life. I have removed myself from all online fishing holes, because of frustration and lack of suitable subjects. Seems that either they are sitting waiting like catfish in the depths, content to let the bait come to them, or they are flashing about the pond, flitting from one set of fins to another, all displays of hormones and bravado and colour, with no substance or character.

I keep telling myself that patience is the name of the game. Ignore the urges to cast my hook once more and just let time and circumstance dictate what happens. If I ignore the wantings, the desires, perhaps fate will take the upper hand and someone will appear in my life, someone worthy of my attentions. Someone who will take me for who and what I am.

In the meantime, I carry on as if I were normal and try to think through the thickness in my head. The pole and line gather dust in the corner.

19 comments:

  1. 1. NyQuil®. The only fun part of having a cold.

    2. Ice fishing. Dip your hook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. XL: Nyquil is a staple in my medicine cabinet... the bottle is almost empty. :-)

    Ice fishing? No thanks, I want a warm body, not a cold fish... Have already met a few of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Otherwise, she would be hounding me with her lughead plopping on my lap for constant attention. One tires rapidly of that submissive but demanding behaviour.

    TELL me about it!

    *shoos Houseboys out of lap*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice analogy Ponita, very shrewd and astute.

    Mr Right will come along when you least expect him, so blow that snotty nose, put on your face, hit the town.

    Let him come to you.. nae the other way round, reet hen?

    Now where's my rum cake?

    ReplyDelete
  5. MJ: A boy in your lap? I wish... ;-)

    Jimmy: That's the plan... I guess. :-\

    I told you before the rum cake would be ready when you got here... but you're not here yet. Should I post it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have confidence doll. Confidence is very attractive in a woman, reet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimmy: I agree, confidence is attractive. And I do have it, I do. But it's just taken a bit of a beating from the 1 1/2 years of fishing the pond and only snagging bottom feeders or slippery eels that stick around for a short time and then wriggle away with a quick flick of the tail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are the pay/profile sites (eHarmony, Match, etc) also full of eels and bottom-feeders?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snirfl ... get well soon! Some stiff (sorry) rum cocktails (sorry) may be come handy (sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  10. XL: They are everywhere, unfortunately. Doesn't seem to matter if the sites are free or pay. In fact, I have seen the same men on all the sites - both free and pay.

    The beef I have with eHarmony (where you can 'review your matches for free') is that you have to pay to be able to see their pictures! You can read a little bit of their write-up and do some question and answer email thingies, but you don't know what they look like until you cough up the cash. Forget that noise.

    Now, not all of the men are eels and bottom feeders, but they seem to be in the minority, from the experiences I've had.

    Mago: Puns should always be intended! Am improving steadily, thank you very much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Otherwise, she would be hounding me with her lughead plopping on my lap for constant attention. One tires rapidly of that submissive but demanding behaviour."

    You've given me much to think about with those two sentences... without evening meaning to do so.

    On a more relevant note... I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna: Is that a good thing?

    The cold is waning, slowly, thanks. Only thing left now is the snotty, runny nose. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wipe your nose on your sleeve... like you normally do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the online dating info. Didn't know it was that grim.

    Here's to getting rid of the slimy things: snot and eels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. XL: Eels are out of my life; the snot is on it's way out (literally!) too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Snot ...
    "Sitting on the park bench, eying little girls with bad intent / snot is running down his nose, greasy fingers wearing shabby cloths ..."
    What a single word can trigger! An old Jethro Tull song ... "Aqualung"?

    ReplyDelete
  17. online dating AAAAAAARGGGGGHHHHHHH

    or maybe we are just very selective?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mago: Have heard the song... don't recall the lyrics, but that certainly sounds like something by Jethro Tull! ;-)

    Carnalis: I am quite selective (and why shouldn't I be?) but the AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH! still applies... definitely. So I just quit. Period.

    ReplyDelete

So you have something to say about all this, do you?
Well, let's hear it, then!