Saturday 9 August 2014

I have a plan...

After the breakup with Maart, I fell into a brief binge of feeling sorry for myself and consumed way too much in the way of sugar and fat. Now, I wasn't slender before all that, but when I stepped on the scale mid-June, I was horrified! I was at the heaviest I have ever been in my life and I knew I needed to seriously do something about it!!

I actually didn't get motivated to do anything until mid-July when I bought a pedometer that will track not just steps taken, but distance, calories burned, stride length, etc. This was right before little Sorley came into my life (however briefly) and I started a daily walking regime.

I am bound and determined to get rid of all this excess flab and fat and get to a healthy weight. I know what a healthy weight is because when I was in my early 40s, I was in the best shape of my life. I went to the gym almost every day, I ran, cycled, rollerbladed, swam and rode my horse. I was fit and trim, with strength and stamina to boot.

Not now.

Now, I look like a frumpy middle aged Mrs. Potato Head. Very round in the middle with normal arms and legs. Not a good look, I can attest. It also makes looking fashionable impossible.

And I hate it!

So I walk. In the past 4 weeks, I have logged 145+ kms. Even without a dog now, I continue to walk and attempt to do a minimum of 5 km for each daily jaunt. So far, I have been mostly successful. So far, I have dropped 11 lbs from that horrific high of mid-June.

I have a long, long ways to go.

But this time, I am determined. I know that as I get older, this excess weight will have hugely negative effects on my health. It will affect my heart function. It impacts my (already compromised) joints. And I flat out refuse to buy bigger clothes! I've kept many of the smaller sizes in the (hopefully not deluded) chance that I will get into them again at some point.

I also plan on finding another dog. I have leads on a couple but need more info on how they are with cats and whether they have any major health issues. One I've met but his health and cat status are still unknown. The other I've not met and am going to try and find out more today.

I have two more weeks before heading back to work, so now would be the optimum time to bring home a dog, to get it settled and into a routine before I start back in the salt mines.

11 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by the walks that you post to FB, I'm sure I should do something with the patterns you're making. I have a strong hunch that you will be successful in hitting your target weight... and good luck with finding a new canine companion!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patterns? Am I knitting my way to slimness perhaps, Scarlet? It's all random squiggliness, isn't it? ;-)

      I use an app on my phone (MapMyWalk) and it uses GPS to map my route, how long it takes, the distance, my pace (minutes per kilometer) and calories used. I like that it gives me solid data to reflect my efforts.

      I will get there for sure, and am going for a second look today at a young dog at the shelter where my sister volunteers. He still needs neutering, vaccinating and xrays to figure out why he's a bit sore in the hind end, but he's quiet, friendly and very handsome.

      Delete
  2. I am rooting for you honey. You and I will both succeed, it might take awhile, but we will get there.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I for you, Roses! Yes, we will both succeed, I have no doubt about that. We'll be mutual cheering squads. :-)

      Delete
  3. A pedometer is a great incentive to getting out there. (Mine got a good workout whilst on vacation.) And a doggie walking companion — even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've logged some pretty good days on mine so far, with a few very sparse ones (all depends on what's on the schedule for any given day) but yes, it is incentive, as is a dog. And I've got a good feeling about the one at the shelter. I've seen him several times and he just gets better. :-)

      Delete
  4. I believe in you! And I believe I need to do the same. I have an idea that when hubby has his 1st knee replacement surgery at the end of the month I'll be doing A LOT of extra walking.

    Good luck with the dog buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to Hubby with his knee! Having nursed patients who've had knee replacements, the grinding pain is gone and you just have the discomfort of surgery, which lessens as it heals. So hopefully all goes well with that, and your increased pace too, Hope!

      Delete
  5. I have no doubt you can achieve any goal you set yourself. ANY! :-)

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have more faith in me that I do! But I am determined to get back to my "fighting" weight, so to speak. It's taken a long time to get this far away from it and I know it will take time to get back there... but it IS doable. Thank you for believing in me. Everyone's support actually means a lot to me. xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. I applaud your plans and your moxie! You've got fire and you're going after what you want. I am happy to see you take control and start making the changes you want, to make yourself happier and healthier. I know you can do it! Losing 11 pounds from walking while recovering from surgery is a great achievement. Well done and keep on trucking!

    ReplyDelete

So you have something to say about all this, do you?
Well, let's hear it, then!